In the current scenario, you can find hundreds of different professions that all are relevant in their fields. However, Architecture is one of the most fascinating areas to work as a job. If you want to be an architect, think about whether you enjoy bringing things together. Do you enjoy playing various games of organization, especially house puzzles? Do you like the structures of buildings? If you answered yes, architecture is a great area for you to pursue.
Architects are involved in every step of the construction process, from design to completion. Architects include a diverse set of skills, including good math skills, a keen eye for detail, an outstanding ability to communicate, excellent problem-solving skills, and the ability to think critically. A typical day in the life of a practicing architect consists of slaving away on construction drawings, attending meetings, inspecting the work of their workers, invoicing clients, reviewing the work of contractors so that they can be compensated, and dealing with clients and employees, as well as addressing all sorts of problems relating to their projects and business.
In this article, all the future aspirants will get to know about What is Architecture and what is the procedure to become an Architect in India and also top colleges for architecture in India.
About an Architect
Architecture is the art and science of creating houses, open spaces, cities, and other man-made structures and ecosystems, typically with an architectural goal in mind. Designing or selecting furnishings and decorations, supervising construction work, and inspecting, restoring, or remodeling buildings are all examples of architecture. It’s a work that combines intellectual ingenuity with a desire to construct real-world infrastructures in the field. Furthermore, it is the duty of the architect to create structures and works of art that last a long time and are highly beneficial to the living.
In India, a career as an architect has a lot of potential. Meeting with clients to decide structure goals and criteria, directing staff who prepare plans and documentation, preparing structure specifications, managing design contracts, and preparing scaled drawings, either with computer software or by hand, are all part of an architect’s job. It is the duty of an architect to ensure that a structure is structurally sound, functional, compliant with rules and regulations, and in keeping with the client’s or community’s aesthetic.
Eligibility to Become an Architect
If you want to fulfill your dream to become a successful Architect then, you need to pass some exams and also get a degree in Architecture. Only then, you will be able to pursue Architecture as a profession. Here are the eligibility criteria to become an Architect in India:
- After passing your class 10th exams, candidates can apply for various engineering diplomas in Architecture.
- 10+2 is the minimum requirement for other diploma courses in this subject.
Bachelors in Architecture (B.Arch)
- Candidates should have passed their class 12th with 50% aggregate marks.
- It is compulsory to have Mathematics and English as compulsory subjects in class 12th.
- Candidates who have completed a 3-year diploma are eligible to apply for the B.Arch course.
- Candidates are required to clear architecture entrance exams to get admission to colleges like JEE Main, JEE Advanced, and NATA.
PG and Doctoral Degrees
- For these courses, candidates must have completed their Bachelor’s in Architecture.
- Candidates need to pass PG entrance exams like GATE and CEED to get admission in their master’s degree.
Responsibilities of an Architect
After qualifying for the degree of an architect, it is important to know the duties of an Architect professional that are required to get fulfilled. There is various responsibility as an Architect during the completion of a given project. Some of the main duties are given below:
- Determine objectives and requirements for structures after meeting their clients
- Give preliminary estimates on the cost and construction time of the structures
- Prepare structure specifications and details
- Direct workers who prepare drawings and documents for the project
- Compose rough drawings by using scales or either any computer software
- Prepare and manage contract documents for building contractors
- Visit worksites to ensure that construction is going according to architectural plans
- Seek new work by marketing and giving presentations of their projects
Steps to Become an Architect
In order to become an architect in India, there is a process that needs to be followed. The steps to becoming an architect are shown below. Look at the steps to become an architect outlined below:
Step1 Enroll admission in a good University
It is important to obtain admission to a reputable college in order to benefit from better educational opportunities. An applicant must appear for relevant entrance tests organized by the respective colleges, such as NATA, JEE, and institute-specific entrance tests, in order to gain admission to architecture colleges. To be admitted, students must pass these entrance exams.
Step2 Complete your B.Arch degree or any Diploma
The B.Arch. program is a five-year undergraduate program. The curriculum is made up of five academic years and must be completed in five to six years. As a result, a student must pass the main exam conducted at the end of each academic year in order to receive a B.Arch. degree.
Step3 Register yourself to start the Architect practice
After finishing the course, it’s time to register with your country’s architecture regulatory body after receiving your architecture degree. As it is necessary to register there in order to obtain a license to practice architecture. You may also do internships during your college years to gain real-world experience working with experienced professionals.
Top Colleges for B.Arch course
There are various private and government colleges in India that are providing the course of the architect. All the eligible candidates can take admission after fulfilling the eligibility criteria of the particular college. Have a look at the list of the universities for architectural studies given below:
- Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur
- Lovely Professional University, Phagwara
- Birla Institute of Technology and Science, Pilani
- Amity University, Noida
- Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi
- Chandigarh University
- Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur
- Annamalai University, Chennai
- Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore
- Galgotias University, Greater Noida
- School of Planning & Architecture, Delhi
- Manipal University
So, this is all about the architecture studies in India that an aspirant should know before applying to get admission to a college. This blog also consists of all information about who is an architect and what their roles and responsibilities need to be fulfilled by any professional architect. Also, you will get to know about the courses and education requirements as well as the best universities for the same course.